8 Random and Interesting Facts About the Human Genome

Everyone in the field of bioinformatics knows about the human genome project and the importance of it. Most of the population have also heard of it. We have decided to recap some important and interesting findings of the human genome to get everyone clued-up.

Humans versus Rice Plants

A human has 24 000 genes compared to the 35 000 in a rice plant. Seems a bit strange as humans seem to be more complex than a rice plant, right?

You and Me

Time to get rid of prejudice and all that as 99% of the human genome is identical in all people from all races.

Use of the human genome

The human genome is useful to help people with screening for potential diseases and for researching genetics and origins.

Functions of our genes

The functions of many of the 24 000 genes in a human body have not yet been identified.

How long does genome sequencing take?

In 2007 it took 2 months for one person’s genome sequencing to be completed. Science and technology developments have been speeding up this process dramatically and have also made it cheaper.

Proteins in the code

There are more than 3.2 billion base pairs in the human genome. Of this large amount, less than 2% code as proteins. Each of the human genes gets translated into approximately 5 proteins.

What are introns?

Introns are non-coding sequences in the genes. They interrupt the information sequence of a gene. They are like nonsense or white noise interruptions.

What happens with the other 98%?

Only less than 2% of the human genome codes proteins. The rest of the 98% was considered to be junk for a long time. Today, scientists believe this 98% has a valuable function.

These are a few random and interesting things about the human genome that our fellow citizens outside the field may not have known. The project has brought about many wonderful findings and has led to the discovery and invention of things that will help improve disease prevention and cure in the future.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *